Mr. Thompson completed the research on his first book, Beyond the Veil of Reason - Thomas Jefferson's Early Political Initiatives, as a Batten Fellow at the Jefferson Center for International Studies at Monticello. He is the publisher of Commonwealth Books of Virginia. In addition his publishing duties, he lectures on topics he discusses in his books. He has spoken at the Naval Academy, the Virginia Historical Society, Stratford Hall, and Wilton House in Richmond. He has presented lecture series for the continuing education programs at the University of Virginia, William & Mary, George Mason University, and the University of Delaware.
- The Birth of Virginia's Aristocracy
- The Dubious Achievement of the First Continental Congress
- Thomas Jefferson's Enlightenment – Paris 1785 (Illustrated Edition)
- Thomas Jefferson's Early Political Initiatives
- The First Revolution in the Minds of the People
- How America's Illustrators Created America
- George Washington's Indispensable Man: Who was Will Lee?